Sticky Banana and Dark Chocolate Bread (Snazzy Biscuits)
Firstly, courtesy to Snazzy Biscuits for the original version of this recipe which I have adapted, check out Amy's fab blog of cute biscuits and cakes here. For the sake of health I made this it with gluten free flour (Organ). Here is my recipe:
Sticky Banana and Dark Chocolate Bread
2 cups gluten-free flour 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp cinnamon 3/4 tsp baking powder 3/4 tsp salt 1/3 c milk (or oil) 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract 1/2 cup honey 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice 1 T sugar 2 cups tightly-packed, mashed banana 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
2. In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
3. Add wet to dry, and fold in gently, don’t overmix.
4. Add chopped chocolate pieces and fold in.
5. Place in lined or greased loaf tin, and bake at 180C for 5o mins.
*bread may start to brown on top, whilst still gooey inside, so cover in tin foil and continue to bake.
6. Leave to cool completely before serving.
I served it to all my friends at school and they were certainly impressed that something verging on healthy could taste so darn good! It was a lovely morning tea for us all. I have a few ideas for further variations:
- For sugar free, omit the tablespoon of sugar and add a bit more honey. Or alternately use agave nectar, stevia or whatever sweetener you would like. For choc chips you could use cacao nibs or carob chips.
- I also thought perhaps instead of choc chips, walnuts, almonds or any other fruit and nut combination would be quite lovely.
- For a lactose free version, use alternate choc chips or milk free versions and use a lactose free milk substitute (almond, rice, soy etc). Or you could use perhaps coconut or some other healthy oil instead.
- Otherwise this is a lovely gluten free, low sugar, egg and nut free treat for all you health foodies out there.
Keep healthy :)