Gluten-Free Lemon Tart
As a late birthday gift to my Mum I made her her favourite sweet treat - lemon tart - but gluten free! I adapted this recipe from the wonderful Kate at Finger, Fork & Knife. See the original recipe here. It was a bit of a long process and there was a moment where I thought the whole pastry shell was going to collapse in on itself! Baking pastry gluten free I must warn you can be tricky and the result was delicate and crumbly and tasted like shortbread. This recipe isn't sugar free, but as a sweet treat it is very yummy. Coconut sugar, rice malt syrup or maple syrup would probably work as "healthier" substitutes, or a small amount of stevia if you prefer a completely sugar free tart. Overall, it was a lemony and perfect spring afternoon treat :)
Gluten-free Lemon Tart-
- 130g rice flour
- 75g corn flour
- 45g combination blanched almond meal & gluten free plain flour
- 3 Tsp caster sugar
- 160g organic butter, chilled
- 80ml chilled water
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 Tsp lemon zest
1. Sift flours together in a bowl. Place flours into food processor with sugar and butter. Process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Slowly add water whilst processing until soft dough forms (you may need more or less water than specified, just get it to the right consistency).
2. Lightly flour a surface with gluten free flour, knead the dough for approximately 3 minutes. Wrap in glad wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Grease a 23cm tart dish with butter. On a floured surface roll out the dough until about 3-5mm thick. Gently lift flat dough into tart dish and mould into sides. Trim edges. *Note: gluten free pastry broke easily, but don't despair. Try rolling off the bench and then unrolling into the dish, patch up any holes with the excess pastry. Try to make the thickness level across the whole shell. Refrigerate, in shell, for a further 30 minutes.
4.Preheat the oven to 170 oC. Remove shell from fridge, cover with baking paper and weigh down with rice. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the paper and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until crust starts to brown and the base has started to cook i.e. isn't still dough. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. For the lemon filling, place milk into a saucepan and gently bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. In a bowl add eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest and whisk together. Whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Pour mixture into cooled tart shell and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is firm to touch and isn't liquid in the centre.
6. Let the tart cool completely, either on bench or in the fridge. Sprinkle with icing sugar for decoration. Serve chilled.
Good luck! When baking the pastry mine did crumble a little, but once it had baked a second time and then cooled it remained intact when I cut and served for my mum. And her verdict....beautiful!!!
Keep healthy :)