Walk Yourself Healthy
Would you like more energy, to get fit, to de-stress, to lose weight? Yes...? Well then walking is for you! Walking would literally have to be the easiest and cheapest form of exercise around. All you need is a pair of legs, some supportive footwear, a place to walk and voilà, you have walking.
Here is just a few quick reasons why walking is a great choice:
1. It burns almost as many calories as running, without all the negative impacts on your joints. Walking is low impact and easy to do if you're not up to running. Also, walking helps build strong legs and leg joints particularly if you walk up and down hills. You could also try combining walking and running i.e. walk for 5 minutes, run for 1 minute and repeat as often as you like.
2. Walking is free! You don't need any expensive gym equipment or a gym membership, just get outside, find some nice walking paths and get going.
3. It can be done almost anywhere. It really doesn't matter if you live in the city or somewhere remote, I am sure there is somewhere you can walk and if the weather is not good turn up the tunes and enjoy a stroll on the treadmill.
4. Walking outdoors boosts your mood, lowers stress and prevents depression. A walk outside, even just 10 minutes long, has been proven to boost your mood and lower feelings of anxiety or depression, especially as you soak up some much needed Vitamin D. So next time your feeling a bit down take a brisk stroll in the fresh air and I guarantee you will feel much better than when you started.
5. It's environmentally friendly. Walking, wherever possible is a much better alternative to driving a car, as walking obviously produces no carbon emissions and doesn't need petrol to work. Whenever I am not pushed for time I like to walk to where I want to go, even if it takes up to an hour. Sometimes my friend and I go for a long walk, just because we want to.
6. It will help you stay slim. Walking, like all exercise, is great for staying in shape but has an added bonus. Because walking doesn't increase the stress hormones (which running sometimes does), your body loses excess weight more easily. Regular exercise such as walking can help with a wide range of diseases, as well as prevention.
7. It's a great way to catch up with friends. Is there someone you haven't seen in a while or someone who you need to have a long chat with, invite them to go walking with you. It is a great time to chat and forget your worries as you stroll about. If there is walking clubs or groups in your area you might even make new friends.
8. Walking can take you places. Many of the most incredible and breath-taking places on Earth are accessible only by walking. All over the world there are trails and hikes you can do, which if you love walking is a great chance to experience something truly special. A recent addition to my bucket list is the Camino de Santiago walk, an 800km pilgrimage which runs through Spain, although I am not religious I think it looks amazing and so spiritually cleansing. There is a great movie about it called The Way.
Anyway, happy walking :)