Healthy Shepherd's Pie Recipe
A favourite as a kid, shepherd's pie never failed to disappoint! Traditionally the base is mince meat and the topping mashed white potatoes with cheese. However, I recently put a healthy and vegan spin on this household favourite.
If you are a fan of sweet potato, I promise you will love this recipe!
Completely: gluten free, grain free, sugar free & vegan.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 brown onion
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 1 can of lentils
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 3 fresh tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (or one of the small tubs)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of frozen/fresh peas
- 2 tablespoons of dried/fresh herbs
- Chopped fresh parsely
- Salt & pepper
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (could also use almond milk or water from the pot)
- Fry off the chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil until brown in a large pot.
- Add garam masala and bay leaves - fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the lentils (drained), diced fresh and canned tomatoes and carrot.
- Simmer until the carrot is softer and add the peas - simmer for another 5 minutes.
- While simmering peel and chop the sweet potato and steam in boiling water.
- Take lentil mix off the heat and stir in the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Once the sweet potato is soft add to a food processor or blender with about 1/2 cup of coconut milk (add more if required). Blend until the potato is smooth and creamy.
- Press down the lentil mix into the pot and spoon the mashed sweet potato over the top.
- Smooth out the potato, put a lid on the pot and cook at 180 degrees for about half an hour or until the potato begins to brown and crisp.
- Spoon directly out of the pot to serve.