Chicken & Pesto Brown Rice
This is a great heart-warming, pesto-y and healthy dinner or lunch idea! It takes nearly no time to prepare and can be easily frozen to eat later (at a more time poor period). It is also a good alternative for pasta, by using brown rice that generally offers more nutrients - plus the deliciousness of home-made pesto!
The recipe is naturally gluten free (as are all our recipes), but it can easily be made vegan, dairy free or vegetarian.
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 medium serves or 2 large serves
- 100g chicken thigh
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion
- Parmesan (by-pass if you want to make it dairy free)
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 bunch of basil
- 2 bunches of parsley (or other greens - spinach, kale, rocket)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20g parmesan
1. Start cooking the brown rice in 2 cups of water
2. Blend all of the pesto ingredients in a blender/food processor
3. Chop the chicken thigh into strips, fry off in olive oil, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken and dice it up. Place it into a baking tray and cook for 10 - 15 minutes at 200 degrees in a fan force oven.
5. Dice the red onion, fry off, add the chicken, add the pesto and stir.
6. Finally at the brown rice, give it a good stir and serve with extra parmesan if your heart desires!