Cauliflower and Broccoli Fried “Rice”
I feel like fried rice is an old favourite in many households. It is a fantastic dish to make when you have a heap of veggies that need to get used up ASAP and it is one of the fastest meals to make! Bonus: it also only takes one pan to cook and therefore cleaning duties are minimised as well.
Fried rice is also incredibly diverse. If you are vegetarian – don’t add the chicken/bacon/red meat or replace with tofu. If you are vegan – do as previously + don’t add the egg. It is also an incredibly cheap meal, especially if you use in season vegetables!
Now I know the concept of fried rice without rice may seem a bit strange... but I promise it is delicious! It also packed with extra veggies because the “rice” is made from cauliflower and broccoli – which actually taste quite a lot like rice when blended and cooked!
· ½ cauliflower
· ½ broccoli
· 1 red onion
· 1 clove of garlic
· 1 small carrot
· ½ cup frozen peas
· ½ cup mushrooms
· Salmon – chopped into cubes (can forego or replace with other forms of protein)
· 3 tablespoons of tamari sauce (can replace with soy sauce)
· 1 tablespoon of olive oil
· 2 eggs - scrambled
· ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes – chopped
· Salt & pepper to taste
1. Fry off the onion, garlic, carrot and mushrooms in olive oil in a large pot/pan/wok
2. Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into smaller pieces and pulse in a food processor or vitamix until grain like
3. Add the peas and salmon into the pot and cook for 2-5 minutes
4. Pour the cauliflower and broccoli “rice” in and fry off. Add the tamari, salt and pepper.
5. Scrape the ingredients to the edge of the pan and pour the scrambled eggs into the centre. Mix quickly to cook the egg.
6. Turn the heat off and stir the sun dried tomatoes and coriander through