Black Bean Brownies!
The idea of eating a brownie made predominantly from beans may scare some initially.. BUT I promise these are delicious! The black beans actually play a more important role in creating a dense and scrumptious texture, rather than adding much to the flavour. So even if you are not a fan of black beans, I assure you this recipe will still go down well.
Vegetable based brownies are becoming more and more popular such as: sweet potato, zucchini & now beans! But these recipes are great for providing the chocolately goodness that we crave whilst also actually providing many health benefits!
Black beans are high in protein, iron, fibre and folate! They are also low GI, meaning you will not get the fast blood sugar spike that generally occurs from sugary brownies. It is also a great way to sneak extra vegetables into your diet without your guests/children/family even noticing.
This recipe would also be great with chopped nuts such as macadamias, walnuts or brazil nuts to add even more protein and healthy fats.
· 1 can of drained and washed black beans
· 2 whole eggs
· ¼ cup almond meal
· 2 tablespoons of coconut flour
· 2 tablespoons of sweetener: honey, rice malt syrup
· 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
· 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
· ¼ cup water
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor/blender for about 2 minutes until smooth
2. Pour into a lined (baking paper) brownie tray
3. Cook at 180 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes
4. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes
5. Cut into brownie pieces
6. Devour! – extra yummy served with cocofrio ice cream